10 Myths About Bullet Journals

  
🇬🇧 You can believe me when I tell you I have been Bullet Journaling for a long time. By a long time, I mean longer than Amanda RachLee herself, I remember when the Queen of Bullet Journals started her first one. Since then, the community has exploded, more people started bullet journaling and it became something way different from the original idea which includes only a pen and a random notebook. Nowadays you will find the most various types of products marketed as Bullet Journal supplies, you will find a whole youtube niche related to Bullet Journals and it can be daunting even for someone who has done it for as long as I am. For today's post, I thought it would be interesting, as the least artsy person on this planet, to share 10 myths about Bullet Journaling.


🇵🇹 Podem acreditar quando digo que já ando nisto dos Bullet Journal à muito tempo. Por muito tempo quero dizer mais do que a própria Amanda RachLee (que para quem não conhece é a rainha de Bullet Journaling), ainda me lembro quando ela começou o seu primeiro BuJo.  Desde então a comunidade explodiu, cada vez mais pessoas ficaram a conhecer o método de organização criado por Ryder Carroll e este ganhou proporções completamente diferentes das originais, que incluía apenas um caderno e uma caneta.
Hoje em dia existe toda uma categoria de produtos cujo marketing é feito como Bullet Journal Supplies, existe um nicho na youtube relacionado com este tópico e pode ser intimidante até mesmo para alguém que faz isto à tanto tempo quanto eu. No post de hoje pensei que seria interessante desmistificar 10 mitos sobre Bullet Journals.



🇬🇧  1. You have to be artsy... As I said, I am the least artsy person on the planet and I have been bullet journaling for almost 10 years. You don't need to know how to draw or amazing coloring skill. I have tried in the past to draw (something I am terrible at) simply because of the pressure of the internet but at the end of the day that is not what bullet journaling is about.

🇵🇹 1. Tens de ser artsy... Caso não saibam eu sou a pessoa menos artsy à face da Terra, simplesmente não tenho jeito, mas tenho um BuJo hà quase 10 anos. Não tens de saber desenhar nem pintar. No passado já tentei desenhar para o meu Bullet (sem grande sucesso) por pura pressão da restante comunidade, mas no final de contas isso não é parte essencial do method.


🇬🇧  2. You need the fanciest notebooks or pens... You really don't. I started bullet journaling with a lined notebook and a blue BIC pen. No Leuchtturm notebook (even though that is the one I use nowadays), no fancy pens, nothing but a blue pen and a regular notepad. If you want to start my best advice is, grab a notebook, explore the method and figure out if it works for you before you spend a bunch of money on supplies.

🇵🇹 2. O importante são as canetas ou cadernos mais caros... De todo... Quando eu comecei tinha uma caneta azul da BIC e um caderno de capa preta. Nada de Leuchtturm (apesar de ser o que eu uso hoje em dia), nada de canetas fancy. Se queres começar o meu melhor conselho é que peguem num caderno qualquer e explorem o método antes de gastarem imenso dinheiro em materiais.


🇬🇧  3. You can't use it simply to-do lists... The secret about bullet journaling is that you can use it for whatever you want. If to-do lists are what works better for you, you don't need to waste time with weekly or monthly spreads. For me, personally, weakly and monthly spreads are what works best, but the magic about the Bullet Journal Method is that is completely customizable. 

🇵🇹 3. Não se podem fazer só listas de tarefas... Esse é o segredo do Bullet Journal, podem usa-lo para o que quer que seja! Se listas de tarefas são o que melhor funciona enquanto método de organização, não precisam de perder tempo a fazer spreads semanais ou mensais. No meu caso as spreads semanais e mensais são o que fucniona melhor mas é muito raro fazer um daily log. A magia deste método é essa mesmo, pode ser costumizado às necessidades de cada um. 


🇬🇧  4. What works for me has to work for you... You can watch/read as much content about bullet journal spreads as you like, but at the end of the day, the whole point is that you can cater your journal to fit your life and your needs perfectly.  

🇵🇹 4. O que funciona para mim também tem de funcionar para ti... Podem consumir todo o conteúdo de Bullet Journaling que quiserem, mas no fim de contas o objectivo é que o método funcione para as necessidades de cada um, sem verdades absolutas.


🇬🇧  5. You need a lot of supplies... As I said before, you only need a pen. I do use a few highlighter pens, and an eraser tape but I don't have the cult Tombow Pens, I barely use washi tapes, and, generally, I can do my spreads with a ruler and my trusty uni-ball black pen.

🇵🇹 5. É preciso imensos materiais... Tal como já disse só faz falta uma caneta. Eu, para além disso, uso sublinhadores coloridos, corrector, régua e pouco mais. Não tenho as Tombow, umas canetas que são quase sinónimo de BuJo, quase não uso washi tapes e, regra geral, consigo criar qualquer spread com uma régua e a minha fiel caneta preta da Uni-ball.


🇬🇧  6. It has to be perfect...  It really doesn't. I am a perfectionist at heart, but bullet journaling has taught me that done is better than perfect, always. 

🇵🇹 6. Tem de ser perfeito... De todo. Eu sou super perfeccionista, mas se há coisa que aprendi com o meu Bullet é que feito é melhor que prefeito, sempre.


🇬🇧  7. You need to learn how to do calligraphy... I must confess I try to do different types of lettering and to embellish my BuJo with pretty looking notes, but I don't know how to properly do calligraphy, I don't aim to learn it, it's something a lot of people associate with bullet journaling but it is not essential. 

🇵🇹 7. Tens de saber fazer caligrafia... Eu tento fazer tipos de lettering diferentes para decorar o meu BuJo, mas não sei fazer caligrafia, nem tenciono aprender. Apesar de ser algo que muita gente associa com Bullet Journal não é de todo um essencial.


🇬🇧  8. There are rules you need to follow... Bullet Journaling is a method, yes, but, as time has passed I realized what works for me and what doesn't. Nowadays I don't do a kye, something that is part of the original method, I've never done the daily spreads, habit trackers are not something I've struggled with and I'm still trying to adapt and so on. My best advice is, do what works for you.

🇵🇹 8.  Existem regras... Um Bullet Journal é, em última instância, um método, mas com o passar do tempo fui percebendo quais as "regras" que faziam sentido usar para mim. Hoje em dia não faço uma chave / kye, algo que é parte essencial dos método original, nunca fiz daily spreads, habit trackers so algo que ando a explorar ainda, e por ai fora. O melhro conselho? Façam o que resulta para vocês.


🇬🇧  9. It is a big commitment... Well, I understand why it may seem, but I wouldn't call it a commitment, I've had months in the past in which I didn't bullet journal at all, I don't do it every day, and that's ok. What I love most about bullet journaling is the fact that you are free to do it how and when you like, with no absolute rules.

🇵🇹 9. É um grande compromisso... Apesar de perceber perfeitamente o porquê de acharem isso não é necessariamente verdade. Às vezes passos meses sem tocar no meu BuJo, outras vezes uso-o todos os dias (mas a maior parte dos dias não). O que eu mais gosto neste método de organização é o facto de cada um ser livre de fazer o que querem, sem qualquer tipo de regras.


🇬🇧 10. A dotted notebook is a must-have... As I said earlier in this post I didn't have a dotted journal. I started with a regular notebook, then I wanted to do some spreads that involved grids so I used to cut pieces of gridded paper and glued them to my notebooks, it wasn't until my third Bullet Journal that I invested in a dotted Moleskine and nowadays I always do it in a Leuchtturm and I always go for dotted, but I know a lot of people who prefer gridded notebooks or blank ones. 

🇵🇹 10.  É obrigatório ter um caderno pontilhado... Como já disse neste post, quando comecei tinha um caderno pontilhado, na verdade não sabia sequer que cadernos pontilhados existiam. Quando queria fazer spreads com tabelas ou algo do género usava folhas de papel quadriculado cortava e colava. Só lá para o meu terceiro BuJo é que decidi investir num Moleskine pontilhado e hoje em dia uso sempre o famoso Leuchtturm 1917 pontilhado mas sei que há que prefira um caderno liso ou quadriculado.


  🇬🇧 And here they are... the 10 myths I wanted to break about bullet journaling. Remember that you only need a pen, a notebook, and some research to start. You can adapt the method fully well to your needs and, if nothing else, you will have a lot of fun doing it.

🇵🇹 E pronto... aqui estão os 10 mitos sobre bullet journaling que eu queria contestar neste post. Lembrem-se que tudo o que precisam é de uma caneta, um caderno  e alguma pesquisa. Podem adaptar o método totalmente ás vossas necessidades e eu prometo que se vão divertir a experimentar este método único de organização.

8 comments

  1. I had a bullet journal in college and I definitely thought I needed it to be "perfect"... But that just didn't work for me! They are each so unique, which is no what Pinterest shows you haha.
    Jenna ♥
    Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenna! Thank you so much for your kind comment! I really wanted to share this post because I want people to know that there are a few of u out there that are not Pinterest Perfect when it comes to their BuJos. So glad you liked my approach to the topic ♥

      Delete
  2. Ive always found bullet journaling so fascinating, its like an art! I definitely agree with these myths! xx

    https://zoe-ware.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you comment Zoe! It truly has been my biggest creative outlet, and it's amazing to go back to my older journals and see how far I've come!

      Delete
  3. ohhh adoro este post. guardei <3

    www.saramiriam.com

    ReplyDelete