Opening my Heart in the New Year


 🇬🇧 So... 2020 is finally over. And no, I didn't post anything in December, hell, I barely posted at all in 2020, but the year took its toll on me, more than I was expecting, more than I could ever imagine that it could. I have disconnected from my internet self, I have started doing Youtube in Portuguese, I have sort of stopped blogging in English, I have started writing in 2 languages (Portuguese and English), both very close to my heart. 
In a year with such uncertainty, something that I became sure of is that my blog is my happy place, I see it almost as a journal, I see it as a place online where I can track my personal growth. I have been doing this for eight and a half years, with or without consistency, something certain is that I have never stopped and no matter what turns life takes, for now I know that I will keep doing it. Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere.


🇵🇹 Finalmente 2020 chegou ao fim. Tal como puderam ver eu não fiz qualquer post em Dezembro, na verdade não fiz quase posts nenhuns aqui no blog em 2020, mas a verdade é que este ano caótico pelo qual acabamos de passar afectou-me mais do que aquilo que eu poderia imaginar. Desconectei-me da minha presença online, recomecei o meu canal de Youtube em português e ao mesmo tempo parei (mais ou menos) de escrever para o meu blog em inglês, decidi começar a produzir conteúdo nas duas línguas, sendo que ambas estão tão próximas do meu coração. 

Num ano composto por tantas incertezas, ganhei uma certeza extrema no meu blog e no quão feliz ele me faz, vejo este espaço como um diário, um espaço onde posso acompanhar a minha passagem por este mundo e o meu crescimento pessoal. Escrevo neste blog á cerca de oito anos e meio, com ou sem consistência é algo que nunca parei de fazer independentemente das voltas que a vida tem dado. Por agora apenas sei que é algo que continuarei a fazer.




 🇬🇧 Around this time of year I normally publish a long list of new year resolutions, I reflect upon what I set myself to achieve in the previous year, and in where I am in life. After such an atypical year it feels kind of ridiculous to do so,  it feels kind of silly to simply sit down and see if I did manage to travel to a bunch of new places or if I went to the cinema more than in 2019. I didn't achieve any of my goals and that's ok. 2020 was a very important year for me, I explored many new emotions such as grief, pain, gratitude, and appreciation, I connected with myself and I tried to find my purpose in life on a deeper level than before, from those reflective times comes my one and only resolution for 2021.


🇵🇹 Quando chega a esta altura do ano eu normalmente faço um post onde falo das minhas resoluções de ano novo, faço uma reflexão sobre os objectivos que tinha definido para o ano anterior e sobre onde me encontro no momento. Depois de um ano tão atípico senti que era ridículo fazê-lo, não faz qualquer sentido sentar-me e ver se consegui visitar 10 sítios diferentes (tal como tinha planeado) ou ir mais vezes ao cinema do que em 2019. Não cumpri nenhuma das resoluções de ano novo que tinha definido e estou completamente ok com isso. 
2020 foi um ano extremamente importante para mim, descobri novos sentimentos que nunca havia sentido antes, perda, dor, gratidão e valorização, conectei-me comigo mesma e tentei encontrar o meu propósito neste mundo, destes momentos de profunda reflexão e retrospectiva surge a minha única resolução para 2021.



🇬🇧 To take better care of myself: I know it sounds redundant that in the middle of a pandemic I want to take better care of myself. I not only mean the typical new year's resolutions like starting to work out or to eat healthily, but I mean generally work more on taking better care of my body and my mind. For that, I am going to try and book all those doctor appointments I have been putting of for years, I plan on getting my blood tested (at the age of 23 I am ashamed to admit that I have never gotten blood tested), I also plan on getting therapy because I feel like everyone can benefit from it and being that 2020 really took its toll on me I feel like that would be really beneficial to where I am in life right now.


🇵🇹 Tomar melhor conta de mim: Eu sei que pode parecer redundante que no meio de uma pandemia eu queira tomar melhor conta de mim. Longe de mim que isto pareça a típica resolução de ano novo de voltar ao ginásio ou começar uma dieta mais saudável. O que quero dizer é que, de maneira geral, quero tomar melhor conta do meu corpo e da minha mente. Para isso, vou tentar marcar todas aquelas consultas que ando a adiar à anos, tenciono fazer análises (com 23 anos de idade tenho vergonha de admitir que nunca fiz análises na vida), também quero começar a ter consultas com um psicólogo, ou algo do género, que me ajude a organizar a minha mente. 2020 afectou-me mais do que aquilo que eu estava á espera e então acho que esta é a altura certa de o fazer.




 🇬🇧 Well, I honestly think this is it. I am starting the new year without any expectations, if there is something that 2020 taught me was to expect nothing and accept things as they come. The new year I feel like it will be a great one because I will truly focus on myself and on getting my life straight. I feel like this is the first year in which I truly feel like an adult, probably because I just finished university, and I feel like if in my first steps into adulthood I truly focus on myself and on being the best version of me I will be setting myself up truly for success in all the years to come. Happy New Year! I truly hope 2021 brings out the best in and for all of you!


🇵🇹 Bem e acho que é isto. Entro neste novo ano sem qualquer tipo de expectativa. Se há algo que aprendi em 2020 foi a não ter expectativas e a aceitar as coisas tais como é que elas acontecem.  Este ano sinto que será um ano incrível porque vou focar-me verdadeiramente em mim e em organizar a minha vida. Sinto que este é o meu primeiro ano como "adulta", provavelmente porque terminei a minha licenciatura, e sinto que se um dos meus primeiros passos como adulta for focar-me em mim e em construir a melhor versão de mim possível estou a criar a base para conseguir obter sucesso no futuro. Feliz Ano Novo! Espero que 2021 traga o melhor para e em vocês!



Location: Loulé, Algarve, Portugal 
Photographer: André Pereira 

No comments