One Semester Away from Graduation Here is my University Advice

 

I write this post to anyone that is starting University right now, anyone that is studying there already but it can't help but feel lost and to anyone who just wants to check where I am at regarding my education at the moment.
I am a student at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Lisbon (Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa - FLUL) and I am doing a degree in Culture and Communication Studies. I am studying in Portugal, I've never done Erasmus+ or any type of exchange program, so I can only share with you my point of view and my personal experience, based on that I am going to try and provide the best advice I can.


You create your own path, no right or wrong: When I first got into University I was studying Performative Arts, I wanted to be an actress since I could remember and it was the logical next step to me. After my first year, the program for my course changed, and I didn't like the changes that were made so I switched degrees. I started my degree in Culture and Communication Studies. At the time it felt like the world was ending, I loved my degree and I didn't understand why they had to make changes to the program, I didn't want a new course and I didn't want to remain in the old one. After a few months of searching, I finally made the change. Looking back on my path the only thing I regret is not picking Culture and Communication when I first when to University.


You don't need to make a lot of friends: A big thing we all feel in College is the pressure to fit in, to have the American movie experience and live the best years of our lives. Hollywood made us believe that we haven't really lived until we go to University, we will meet the friends that we will take for live, we will meet the love of our lives. All of this while studying to become a successful person in just a few years. I'm sorry to let you know that, for most people, that is BS.
I have met a lot of people since coming to University 4 years ago, but only made 2 friends that I know will be part of my life when it's over. I didn't feel the need to have a bigger group of friends or to meet more people, I've met the people that I needed and I am better of with two great friends than with 20 people that couldn't care less about me.


Everyone is in the same situation that you are: Dear freshman, this is probably the best advice I can give you. It's daunting not knowing where the classroom is, what materials you should get, where is the best place to print copies of assignments or where is the library. It's even more daunting not having anyone that you feel like you can ask. Well, everyone that you see around you is either on the same situation or it has been. No one will judge you for not knowing anything because no one does. Feel free to ask people for their help whenever you need it, you will realize that 9 times out of 10 you will find someone willing to help you.


University professors are not the monsters High School Teachers paint them to be: I remember when I was in High School being told that whatever I was doing wasn't enough for College standards, Professors wouldn't care if we understood what they were teaching, we would have to study a million times harder than we ever did before or otherwise we would fail. Well, to some extent this is true. In University we are all adults, no one will force you to go to classes, no one will force you to do your assignments or even show up for your exams, you are old enough to know what is at stake if you don't do your part. Yet, I've never had a Professor that refused to help a student in any way they could. They are more approachable than High School teachers in that way I believe. If you are too scared to ask something during class, just drop them an email, if you are not sure about what topic to chose for your paper, ask them for their advice. At the end of the day, they want you to succeed. What is the point of being a teacher if all you want is to fail everyone?  That will just show that you don't know how to do your job.


It's just another stage of your life: I feel like University is made out to be this big scary thing because it's normally the first big step into our adult life. Think about it this way, it's just another school, no different from when you went from Elementary School to Middle School or to High School. It doesn't define you, it won't define all your adult life. If you don't love the course you picked, change. If you don't like your University, go to a master elsewhere. You are not late to the party, you are in your own time and that is what matters the most.

2 comments

  1. Aiiii Anna estas fotos estão muito bonitas 💜 tens aqui conselhos fantásticos! Eu fiz a Universidade em Faro, na altura era impensável largar os meus amigos. Mas penso que Lisboa é grande escola de vida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Martinha linda! Ainda bem que gostaste do post! SIm eu acho que estudar para fora é toda uma experiência diferente no que diz respeito a todas as outras coisas que tens forçosamente de aprender em comparação com quem fica a viver na casa dos pais!

      Delete